Earl S. Friot, Jr., 89, a resident of East Woburn for the past sixty years, passed away at Melrose-Wakefield Hospital on Thursday, April 4, 2013, following an extended illness. He was the beloved husband of Mary E. (O’Brien) Friot, who died two years ago, for over sixty-two years.
Born in Boston, Earl was the son of the late Earl S. and Gladys (Simonton) Friot. He grew up in Medford and attended Medford schools. A proud veteran of World War II, Earl joined the U.S. Marine Corps in 1942 and saw considerable action in the Pacific Theater of Operations during the war.
Following his honorable discharge in 1945, Earl attended the Peterson School of Steam Engineering and went to work for the Atlantic Gelatin Company. After spending his early years as a steam engineer, he became Director of Physical Plant for Newton College of the Sacred Heart for many years, and finished his career in a similar position at Boston College.
Earl was introduced to his wife Mary by relatives and, following their marriage, they lived in Melrose for a short time before taking up residence in East Woburn. Together they raised four children, and their lives revolved around their family. Holidays were always special events, especially Christmas, which was always celebrated at the Friot home, and Fourth of July cookouts. Earl was a homebody who enjoyed watching sports, particularly the Red Sox and Patriots. He cherished his role as “Grampy” to his nine grandchildren and later his great-grandchildren, and he loved having them around. He held membership in the American Legion.
Along with his wife Mary, he was predeceased by his dear grandson Robert, his son-in-law, David Wells, a brother, Lawrence Friot, and two sisters, Jacqueline Thibodeau and Beatrice Hennessey.
Interment in Puritan Lawn Memorial Park, 185 Lake Street, Peabody.