Official Website of the U.S. Marine Raider Association & Foundation

Select Page

Obituaries > GRACE, JAMES W.

James Willard Grace, 96, quietly passed away April 28, 2014, in Harbor Springs, while reading the newspaper following his morning exercise class.

A lifelong resident of Grosse Pointe, Mich., he moved to Emmet County three years ago to be close to his daughter, Susan G. Glass, and her husband, Charles F.

He was born April 10, 1918, the son of Edward R. and Lorraine Hill Grace of Grosse Pointe and graduated from Detroit University School in 1936. He attended the University of Michigan where he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

He joined the United States Marine Corps during World War II, serving as captain in Guam until he returned to San Diego where he met and married Lucy Day Bell, his wife of 63 years.

He returned to the University of Michigan Law School, graduating in 1947, and then entered the private practice of law before founding Grace Motor Sales, a Lincoln Mercury dealership in Detroit, with his brother, Edward R. “Ted” Grace Jr. He remained in the automotive business until his retirement in 2005 at age 87.

Mr. Grace was predeceased by his wife and his son, James W. Jr. (Mary Olszewski). In addition to his daughter, Susan, he is survived by three grandsons, Charles F. Glass Jr. (Meghann Donahue) of Hastings on Hudson, N.Y., D. Carter Glass (Lisa Ellis, M.D.) of Norwich, Vt., and William J. Glass (Veronica Liu) of New York City; and four great-grandchildren, Ella, Wyatt, Colin and Caroline.

Mr. Grace was a past member of the Country Club of Detroit and a member of the Waweatonong Club and the Grosse Pointe Senior Men’s Club where he enjoyed the company and respect of members young and old for his lifelong love of community and scholarship.

Memorial contributions may be made to the William L. Clements Library at the University of Michigan, 909 S. University Ave., Ann Arbor, MI.

A private family memorial service is planned.

Arrangements were made through Schiller Funeral Home of Harbor Springs.