Official Website of the U.S. Marine Raider Association & Foundation

Select Page

Obituaries > GREEN, J. D.

WEATHERFORD — J. D. Green, 92, beloved father, grandfather and friend, passed away on Monday, October 10, 2016, in his home. Memorial service will be held at a later date.

Memorials: In lieu of usual remembrances donations may be made in memory of Captain J. D. Green, USMC (Ret.) to the Marine Heritage Foundation Charity, 800 Fettler Park Dr., #104, Dumfries, VA 22025.

J.D. was born on November 19, 1923 in Henrietta, Oklahoma, son of Wallace G. and Kate Churchwell Green. He graduated from Weatherford High School, Weatherford Texas, in 1941.

J.D. enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in Fort Worth in February 1942 and went through recruit training in San Diego. In June 1942 he went overseas with the 22nd Marine Regiment, arriving in British Samoa where he joined the 3rd Raider Battalion under the command of Lt. Colonel Harry B. “Harry the Horse” Liversedge. With the 3rd Raider Battalion J.D. was involved in heavy combat during raids on Pavuvu, Russell Islands (March 1943) and Bougainville, Solomon Islands (November 1943).

After Bougainville J.D. arrived in Guadalcanal, where the four Raider Battalions were disbanded to form the 4th Marine Regiment when that regiment was re-established in February 1944, bearing the name and honors of the original 4th regiment lost in the Philippines in 1942.

The 4th Marine Regiment left Guadalcanal in May 1944, spending 53 days aboard ship before landing on Guam, Mariana Islands in July 1944, where J.D. was wounded in action. J.D. returned to U.S. in November 1944, landing in San Francisco on November 20th 1944, one day after his 21st birthday.

On February 2, 1946 J.D. reenlisted in the Marine Corps, and married Janet Lucille Stewart on February 9, 1946 in Des Moines, Iowa, which he termed the “best day of my life.”

J.D. retired from the Marine Corps at the rank of Captain in July 1962, after 20 years, 5 months of service.

After retiring from the Marines, J.D. worked as a terminal manager for Nevamar Laminates, a division of Exxon Chemicals. He moved back to Weatherford, Texas in 1974, and retired from Nevamar in 1984.

J.D. enjoyed retirement with his wife Lucy, gardening on the 5 acres at his home in Weatherford. He was preceded in death by his wife; parents; his brother; and two sisters.

Survivors: Son, Jack D. Green and wife, Gretchen; daughter, Julie Green and partner, Laura Batson; grandson, Matthew Green; and many other loving friends and fellow Marines. Semper Fi.