Official Website of the U.S. Marine Raider Association & Foundation

Select Page

Obituaries > HARRIS, CHARLES E.

Charles Elwin Harris, 80, founder of the former Bank of Kimball, passed away Jan. 5, 1999, in Sun City West, Ariz. Memorial and burial services will be held Mon., Jan. 25, 1999, at 10 a.m. at the San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery in Gustine, Calif.

Born Nov. 10, 1918 in Sioux Falls, S.D., he was the second of four children born to Helen and Fred Harris. As an Omaha resident, he graduated from Central High School. He attended Doane College and graduated from the University of Nebraska at Lincoln.

He also served during World War II as a member of the Carlson Raiders in the Pacific Theater, where he received a field promotion to 2nd Lt. during the Battle of Iwo Jima. He was awarded the Silver Star for bravery and received national recognition in Newsweek in 1945.

He and his family moved to Kimball in June 1948 where he formed the Kimball County Implement Corp. with Andrew Stenberg. He then purchased the John Deere dealership.

In July 1954, he established the Kimball County Bank of Bushnell and two years later founded the Bank of Kimball.

In June 1964, he became President of Humboldt National Bank, a newly-formed independent bank in Eureka, Calif. where he added seven branches. During his tenure, he became President of the Northern California Independent Bankers Association and taught college courses in banking.

While in Kimball, he participated in many activities including serving as President of the Lions Club, Chairman of the Utility Board and as a member of the State Republican Committee.

In 1981, he retired and lived in Sun City West, Ariz. and Eureka, Calif.

He is survived by his wife of 54 years, Aris Harris of Eureka; daughter and son-in-law, Margene and Michael O”Shea of Arcadia, Calif.; two sons, Robert of Eureka and Charles Elwin, Jr. of Long Beach, Calif.; two sisters and one brother; two grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.

Memorial gifts may be sent in his honor to the Kimball County Hospital.