Official Website of the U.S. Marine Raider Association & Foundation

Select Page


TRENTON, N.J., Sept. 30. (AP)—One driver was instantly killed and another was injured here today [September 30, 1945] when their automobiles skidded on the one-mile track and crashed through the boundary fences during the 20-mile feature auto race at the Trenton fairgrounds.

Killed was Harry Hutchinson, of Springtown, Pa., who apparently lost control of his automobile on the first turn, crashed through two boundary fences and into several parked cars.

Injured was Bill Holland of Bridgeport, Conn., who suffered a fracture of the left shoulder when his car skidded and crashed the boundary fences at the second turn of the eighteenth lap.

No other cars were involved in the accidents but the race was stopped after Holland’s mishap.

Winner of the feature event was Joey Chitwood of Pawhuska, Okla., who finished the 18 lap in 14:49.6. Johnny Shackleford of Indianapolis, Ind., finished second and Dutch Culp of Allentown, Pa., third.

Hutchinson, although listed from Allentown, was a resident of Springtown, but had been employed here as a salesman for the Lehigh Valley Tire Corporation.

Hutchinson, who was married and lived with his wife at Springtown, had four Japanese bullets in his body when he died in the track accident.

He was a member of the famed “Carlson Raiders,” serving with the 2nd Marine [Raider] Battalion under [Colonel] Carlson and “Jimmy” Roosevelt, son of the late president, on forays which carried him from Wake Island, into Makin, Midway, Guadalcanal, and Bougainville, the hard fight the Marines made to establish United States supremacy in the Pacific, which eventually brought capitulation of Japan.

He was the holder of the Purple Heart Medal, had received a Navy Letter of Commendation for valor and a Presidential Citation. Hutchinson enlisted in Allentown on Jan. 2, 1942 and was recently discharged because of his wounds.

Earlier in the afternoon, in the time trials, Frankie Luptow, of Detroit, driving a Miller Special, crashed into the fence in front of the grandstand, his Miller Special turned over twice. Luptow was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance, but a half hour later was back at the track, only being shaken up and suffering a broken nose.

So close were the fans interested in the duel between Chitwood, Johnny Shackleford and Bill Holland on the big mile track as first one and then the other took the lead, that few saw Hutchinson, who was more than a lap behind, go through the fence on the back turn. The judges’ stand did not know about it until some time later when the checkers missed Hutchinson’s car and figured he had pulled into the pits.