Cpl. David W. Lewis, 29, son of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Lewis, 1104 Vine Street, was killed recently [July 21, 1944] in the Pacific war zone, according to a telegram received by his parents from the Navy Department. Prior to entering the Marine Corps in January, 1942, Corporal Lewis was employed by Proximity Manufacturing Company. He received basic training at Parris Island, S.C., going from there to Indian Head, Md., for further training. He was sent overseas in January, 1943, and according to letters received by his parents, participated in six major battles. Besides his parents he is survived by four brothers, Arthur C. Lewis, U.S. Army, overseas; C. A. Lewis, U.S. Navy, stationed at Camp Peary, Va.; J. C. Lewis, Guilford College, and W. H. Lewis, High Point; three sisters, Mrs. James Sheppard and Mrs. Arthur Poole, both of the home, and Mrs. R. G. Alcon, Burlington.